Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Journey to the Past", written by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty for the 1997 animated film "Anastasia"


Heart don't fail me now
Courage don't desert me
Don't turn back now that we're here
People always say
Life is full of choices
No one ever mentions fear
or how the world can seems so vast
on a journey to the past

Somewhere down this road
I know someone's waiting
Years of dreams just can't be wrong
Arms will open wide
I'll be safe and wanted
Finally home where I belong
starting now, I'm learning fast
On this journey to the past

Home, love, family
There was once a time
I must've had them too
Home, love, family
I will never be complete until I find you

One step at a time
One hope then another
Who knows where this road may go
Back to who I was
Onto find my future
Things my heart still needs to know
Yes, let this be a sign
Let this road be mine
Let it lead me to my past
And bring me home
At Last


Explication:

This is a song from the animated film "Anastasia" and was written by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. The film's plot is based around the urban legend that Anastasia, youngest daughter of the last monarch of imperial Russia, in fact survived the execution of her family during the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917. The song is sang by Anastasia who has forgotten her past and finds herself on a path to revisit her foggy past and uncover the secret of her childhood. This fits in with my theme of childhood in two ways: it is about a journey to one's past and childhood and the film is also one of my childhood favorites.

For most of the poem, the rhyme scheme is ABCDECFF. There is repetition of "on this journey to the past" echoing the title as many songs do. The bridge starts at "home, love, family" and ends at "I will never be complete until I find you. The tone of the song changes from uncertainty and nervousness in the beginning to optimism at the end.

Anastasia is one of my favorite animated films of all time and "Journey to the Past" is one of my favorite songs. The song is sincere and dynamic and the melody is serene and peaceful.

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice of poems Orlando!
    This film is a childhood favourite of mine as well and brings back memories of my old VHS tape. I think by picking films from our childhood (both this and Tarzan) you achieve the effect of nostalgia.
    Analyzing the poetic styles of this song only enhances it, I'm glad how you dug a little deeper to explain it.
    You didn't talk about the apostrophe in talking to Anya's heart or courage though.

    ReplyDelete